Overall to me it seems like things went well, though a number of things could have been improved on my part. Primary success comes from accomplishing the planned goal of helping people get further along with their club robots. Secondary success comes from having had a build session and people being interested in having another one.
It seems like the Friday after the meeting was a good time, but if First Friday falls on the same day, I could shift to the following Friday.
A few points I can think of to improve with:
- Make sure the network name is listed on the WiFi password printout.
- Better organize and make available my collection of electronics and robotics parts.
- Provide more table space in the upstairs area.
- Make tools more accessible for people interested in making parts.
- Make sure to mention if snacks will be available and that a lot of fast food places are available within a short walk.
- Make it clear how much table space is available and make sure that table space is completely clear.
- Clear more space on the floor around any tables that will be used.
- Begin cleaning and preparing space farther in advance so I am actually ready at start time.
For fixing the table space problem, I plan on making sure I can setup a temporary table with some chairs upstairs. My goal is to have have space for up to eight people total to sit down and work upstairs. I plan to look into providing table space in the basement that people can sit at so we have space to spill into if we unexpectedly get a lot of people. If I host during good warm weather, I will try to get some space in the back yard so we have more spillover space.
Food wise, my current plan is to not get snacks until requested because none of the planned snacks were used. I should make it clear that people are welcome to bring their own snacks. As a note: I have no problem making food given that the main build session table is in the kitchen, so everything is right there for making food. I would be fine getting a couple frozen cheese pizzas to cook if people plan to eat at the build session.
For the next meetup post I plan on putting a limit on people based on the amount of upstairs table space. More people are welcome, but anyone over the limit will end up in the basement or the back yard.
I would appreciate feedback from people who went or were thinking of going.